Although it is possible to straighten your smile at any age, the best time to receive orthodontic treatment is as a child. Potential problems can be corrected at the earliest stage with children’s braces, which has been proven to be beneficial in achieving the desired result, and you can avoid having to wear braces further down the line!
Early, interceptive orthodontic treatment can be performed on children around 7-9 years old, and typically lasts between 8-12 months. It can be used to correct problems such as overbites, underbites, crowded and protruding teeth at an early stage, which can make later treatment much less complicated, or even make it possible to avoid it all together.
As recommended by the American Association of Orthodontists, Hampstead Orthodontic Practice advise that children attend their first orthodontic screening by age 7. During your child’s initial consultation, we can then evaluate front-to-back and side-to-side tooth relationships to detect any possible overbite, underbite, or overcrowding issues. It is possible that immediate treatment, or even any orthodontic treatment at all, is not needed. However, if treatment is needed, we can then establish a personalised treatment plan for your child, which may include fixed or removable children’s braces.
Benefits of Children’s Braces
- Creates room for crowded teeth, and preserves space for any unerupted teeth
- Creates facial symmetry by influencing jaw growth
- Corrects issues such as an overbite or underbite before they become more serious
- Reduces the need for tooth removal
- Reduces the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Reduces overall orthodontic treatment time
- Reduction in cost of treatment
- Possible to avoid braces during teenage and adult years
To find out if your child is a candidate for early orthodontic treatment and children’s braces, contact Hampstead Orthodontic Practice today to schedule a complimentary consultation.