Different Types of Teeth Straightening Practices
A bright, confident smile is something that many people desire. While traditional orthodontic treatments like braces or aligners have been used for decades to straighten teeth, different and new technologies are now available. These dental innovations allow people to straighten their teeth from the comfort of their own homes.
At-home teeth straightening kits have been gaining popularity in recent years, but does that make them safe to use?
In our article, we’ll delve into all the different kinds of teeth straightening treatments out there and get to grips with whether or not they can be trusted.
How Exactly Do At-Home Teeth Straightening Kits Work?
At-home teeth straightening kits work by initially filling out a digital form from an accredited online company. In return, they will send you an impression kit with moulds for you to use and to give the provider an idea of what condition your teeth are in. This information allows them to create a 3D model of your teeth for your very own custom aligners.
Are At-Home Teeth Straightening Kits Safe?
At-home teeth straightening kits provide clear aligners and tend to work better for patients with mild orthodontic issues.
As a highly reputable orthodontic practice, we recommend seeking treatment tailored to an individual dental issue, especially if you have a severe orthodontic problem, such as a significant overbite or underbite. Or perhaps you might have a dental condition that requires a more advanced treatment and in that case, at-home teeth straightening kits may not be appropriate for you.
In practice, teeth straightening treatment at the orthodontist further examines the condition of people’s teeth. Whereas, at-home straightening kits offer a simple remedy and do not adequately treat people with serious dental conditions.
In practice, teeth straightening treatment is more effective as a trained orthodontist ensures that you attend regular checkups.
What’s The Difference Between Orthodontic Treatment and At-Home Teeth Straightening Kits?
Both orthodontic treatment and at-home teeth straightening kits offer two different approaches to achieving a straighter smile.
Here’s how they differ in several key ways:
- More Treatment Options – Depending on the severity of your teeth malalignment, orthodontists can offer you a variety of treatment options from normal braces to lingual braces – the more options, the better!
- Regular Check-Ups – With an orthodontic approach, a professional is able to examine the condition of your teeth as they inevitably change and adjust.
- Regular Advice – You can count on your orthodontist to provide you with constant reassurance and advice during your treatment journey.
- Offers Fewer Treatment Options – At-home treatment only offers one option of straightening teeth which involves using clear aligners or plastic trays to gradually move teeth into proper alignment.
- Does Not Require Any In-Person Visits To A Orthodontist – This makes it harder to track and monitor your progress during your treatment. It will be difficult to tell if there is any progress at all without the intervention of a professional.
Why Is Orthodontic Treatment Better?
While teeth straightening kits can be convenient and cost-effective, orthodontic treatment. However, on the other hand, orthodontic treatment is generally considered to be a better option for several reasons.
Orthodontic treatment can achieve more effective and long-lasting results compared to at-home straightening kits, especially for complex dental issues.
Plus, orthodontic treatment is a safe and proven method for correcting dental issues, while at-home straightening kits may have limitations and may pose risks if not used correctly.
While at-home straightening kits may be suitable for minor dental issues or cosmetic improvements, orthodontic treatment is recommended for moderate to severe dental problems that require more comprehensive treatment.
Take the first step towards a more confident smile today and contact us for a free consultation to discuss your orthodontic treatment options.
Don’t wait any longer, book your appointment now and start your journey towards a healthier smile!